Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Running to the sound of my feet.


I have worn an MP3 player or walkman or discman or whatever during my runs forever. Hard hard music always seemed to make the runs go a bit easier. But a couple of weeks ago I was out of batteries and just took off running sans tunes. I ran almost a minute faster at the same heart rate as the week before. I guess it made it easier to concentrate on running with better form.

When I started tri's the run just sucked for me. I have never been fast.( well I ran an 11:17 2 mile when I was in the Army but that was 22 years ago) So this winter is dedicated to getting a running form that is more efficient and thus somewhat faster. Running with a shorter stride, landing midfoot, at a 90 cadence, relaxed upper body, etc... I think I just might be on to something!

3 comments:

skoshi said...

Nice change in format.

I certainly relied on music for the first years of running (which I dislike immensely), but have found that as I've gotten better at it, I now like to go without the music, and yes, I can focus in more on what my body is doing with out the distraction.
Still, some days I like music.

Michael G said...

The blog looks great! Good colors and pics...

Just to let you know I'm watching...

MG

S. Baboo said...

For some reason I have always run without music and I do my long bikes without music too. I just think it is either a good time to meditate or chat with friends.