Monday, January 7, 2008

Intervals with Eddie........


This past weekends weather was a blessing. Mid 60's and mild wind on Saturday meant that I was going long. I filled my jersey with the usuals: gel, cell phone, and pepper spray.....more on that later. All was going great until I hit mile 25 or so. Seems that some of the trailer dwelling members of the community love large aggressive dogs. Pit bulls and chows are the dominant choice. It would be unmanly to actually keep your dog confined to a kennel or heaven forbid you have to keep the gate closed......Now that was a great part of the cinematic classic "American Flyers"

Doing intervals with Eddie in real life isn't nearly as fun.


Sure enough I heard the unmistakable sound of paws manically clawing at the pavement and poof there was a very large, angry looking pit bull attempting to take down some fresh prey...me. I hit the afterburners and realized that the dog had the angle and would intercept me before I could get away. I grabbed my can of pepper spray, aimed it at the beast and let fly a nice long burst of liquid hell.....right into my own thumb. That evil elixir doused my right hand and even a few drops made it to the dog. The dogs will to kill was quashed and I was going to make it. My heartrate went from a nice aerobic 135 to 165 in a flash. Now what do ya do when your glove and hand are soaked in liquid fire? Sure gives snot rockets a new level of excitement.

3 comments:

SWTrigal said...

Wow! That stuff really works I guess if it aimed at the dog? I am thinking on getting some..sounds like you made it out safe.i always have my PRs in biking when a dog is chasing me..

Bones said...

Sounds like you will be shopping for new gloves! Glad to hear you survived your dog race. Hummm Wonder how pepper spray would work for breaking up packs in a tri?

Podium quest said...

I think when your sprayed with OC your supposed to fight uncontrollably & pretend it turns you into a posessed killer that can not be stopped. At least that what it took for my supervisor at work to stop using me as an example of "the use of pepper spray" for new recruits.